Thursday, June 12, 2008

Darnell Continued



It's been a few days since I've been able to get in to the studio, so the under painting had dried nicely. The first thing I did was to tone the entire head, including the hair, with a thin layer of Rembrandt's Transparent Oxide Red mixed with Liquin.  The under painting is still very clearly visible through this layer. This gives me a warm base color that I can blend other colors into.  At this point in the painting I use mostly transparent colors, alizarin, raw umber, yellow ochre, vermilion, and cobalt blue. Gamblin makes a beautiful transparent orange that I used also. Keeping everything very soft, I start layering and blending colors in. It all starts to get rather dark so I start to work in a little naples yellow and a little titanium white, depending on whether I need a cool light or a warm light, to re-establish the lighter areas. I also mixed some cobalt blue with the transparent red oxide to deepen the darks in the hair, eyes, and eyebrows. At this point, I realized that the paint was setting up very quickly in the hot studio, so I quickly scrubbed on some cobalt blue mixed with raw umber to tone the shirt, and added some light tone to the background around the head. 

No comments: