Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The Support of Women


I have a real conflict coming up this saturday. My dear friend, Nancy Bea Miller , is showing at Sherry French Gallery this month. The opening reception is on Saturday. Here in Philadelphia, on the same afternoon, is a memorial at the Philadelphia Museum of Art for the wonderful artist and teacher, Edna Andrade, who died this past April. You can read more about Edna in the wonderful piece Ed Sozanski wrote in the Philadelphia Inquirer.

I first met Edna Andrade when I was a student at what was then the Philadelphia College of Art. Although I never actually studied with her, and the "op art" painting she was doing at the time was not a direction I would be going, she was an inspiration. I was an unsophisticated kid from New Jersey. She was the first professional woman artist I'd met. Finally, I had a role model.

Several years after I left PCA, at a time in my life when I was struggling to make a living and feeling discouraged about my choice to live the artist life, I ran into Edna at an event. She remembered me, and was as she always was, kind, friendly and very supportive. I no longer remember exactly what it was she said to me, but I came away reassured and reinvigorated. I also came away from that determined to remember to be equally supportive to my fellow artists.

So on Saturday, while Edna is getting her well deserved send off at the Museum, I'll be in New York celebrating Nancy Bea Miller's accomplishment. But I will make sure to raise my glass of "gallery opening white wine" and make a toast in Edna's honor.

Note: The magnificent portrait of Edna Andrade, above, was painted by my good friend, Alexandra Tyng . I'm so glad Alex had the chance to complete this portrait. I'm sorry it's reproducing so small.

No comments: